Wednesday, November 18, 2015

"Last Days of Coney Island"

As most of you may know, Ralph Bakshi is one of my heroes.  He really pioneered the whole adult animation genre - I wouldn't be making the films that I make without the influence of Mr. Bakshi.

I'm a big fan of his work, especially his music-based films like "American Pop". 

Well, now he has a new short online, called "Last Days of Coney Island" and I know he's been working on this film for a long time.


I just saw it this morning, and was totally seduced by his great artwork.  The drawing is very loose and stylized, and the backgrounds are powerful collages of Coney Island imagery. 

He could have done without the multiple views of Kennedy's death, and the story could be a bit more coherent.

But his style of filmmaking is unique and so personal that I totally got sucked into this visuals.  I think you will, too.  Check it out at:

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/lastdaysofconeyisland


--Bill Plympton

1 comment:

  1. This was my voice over acting debut, played one of the lead characters named "SHORTY"
    It was one of the most incredible experiences ever had. Working with Ralph Bakshi was exhilarating. Wow what it would be like to work with Bill Plympton its on the bucket list :)

    ReplyDelete