Friday, September 12, 2014

Martha's Vineyard International Film Festival

One of the undiscovered gems on the film festival circuit is the Martha's Vineyard International Film Festival.  As I write this blog posting (September 8), I'm returning from the festival with a nice, sunny glow and sand in my shorts.

                                                      Bill + Lucas in Martha's Vineyard

I've been going to this festival for about 8 years and I've always enjoyed it.  But this year was the best!

Each year, the festival's charismatic executive director, Richard Paradise, invites me to put together a program of my favorite animated films of the year.  This year was the first time I appeared in his brand-new Martha's Vineyard Film Center, a glorious venue for foreign and independent films.

Even though it wasn't a sell-out audience, there was a very enthusiastic crowd - they yelled, clapped, moaned and whistled at all of the films.

                                                                  "The Monkey Rag"

I showed two of my own shorts - the music video "The Deep End", with music by Joe Cartoon, and my new short, "Footprints".  Also included was the wonderful music video "The Monkey Rag" by Joanna Davidovich, and one of my favorites, "Dam Keeper" by Robert Kondo and Dice Tsutsumi.  Also, "Car Park", a film about a barking dog in a car, which was the funniest film of the night.

                                                                       "Dam Keeper"

                                                                         "Car Park"

The audience favorite was "My Kingdom", by Debra Solomon, a film about living in a big city when you need your space.  Very wacky! 

                                                                  "My Kingdom"

If you want to go to a festival with beautiful surroundings, great parties, terrific films and a fun atmosphere, definitely check out the Martha's Vineyard International Film Festival, in lovely Vineyard Haven.  And tell them Bill Plympton sent you!

I give the MVIFF an "A"

--Bill Plympton

                                                     Having a great time at the MVIFF!

No comments:

Post a Comment