Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Dark Knight Rises, Savages, and The Drawn Festival!

Sorry for the long delay between blog postings – did you miss me?

I've been traveling, first to the San Diego Comic-Con, and then to Oregon for a big family reunion. I'll be posting a Comic-Con blog post later, but I want to catch up on a whole bunch of news.

I've seen a bunch of movies, and I'd like to give some quick reviews.


I just saw “The Dark Knight Rises” - I'm a big fan of Christopher Nolan, but this latest installment in the series didn't work for me. Too many plots, too confusing, too talky and too much unintelligible dialogue. Please, bring back Tim Burton. Although, my good buddy, Matthew Modine, was fabulous as the police commissioner.

The other film I saw that I want to mention is “Savages” by Oliver Stone. What I like about this film is the conflict and contrast between lifestyles. The Laguna Beach art colony surfer dudes vs. Mexican drug lords, led by Salma Hayek and the very scary Benicio Del Toro. I was riveted for the entire movie.

And the last bit of business I want to talk about is something Pat Smith and I have been working on for a while. It's the 2nd annual Drawn Animation Festival – it will be held at the SVA Theatre, 23rd St. & 8th Ave, on August 23, 6:30 to 9 pm.

If you live anywhere in the Northeast of the U.S., make a beeline to the SVA Theater for a great evening of hand-drawn animation! Also, a lot of the filmmakers will be there to talk about their craft. Of course, Pat and I will be there, plus I will hold a book-signing for my new Focal Press book, “Make Toons that Sell Without Selling Out” - and everyone who buys a copy will get a free caricature in their book.

So, tell your friends, and I hope to see you there.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed a lot of the action and thrills that the Chris Nolan Batmans had to offer, great acting too, but I have the exact same issues with them, they ARE much too talky and unintelligible, and that doesnt really strengthen the story at all. That kind of talky techno babble stuff always took me out of most films that have it.

    ReplyDelete