Friday, July 2, 2010

Annecy Part Trois




Serge Bromberg before the Tango.


The Annecy festival was a huge success. Already I'm starting on my new film to hopefully get me invited back to the festival in 2011.

I took the train back from Annecy to Paris and did a few meetings about the Frenel book called “Bill Plympton: Portrait of a Serial Cartoonist.” I had a free afternoon so I decided to see the Louvre. As many times I've been to Paris I've always been too busy with interviews and signings. Now I finally had some free time to visit “the greatest art museum in the world.” Apparently it started out as a fort complex, then became The King's residence and office buildings until The French Revolution when it became the residence of all the great French and Italian art.




At the Louvre




Ready to jump in the canal.


I figured my time was limited so I stuck to French painting (Renaissance to 1860's). Wow. Never in my life have I seen so many religious paintings of Jesus and his crew! I've had enough pictures of Christ to last me to eternity. There was, however, some wonderful art by Millet, Corot, Delacroix and Ingres. Even a Goya. So it was a very rewarding experience. I OD'd on so much art I forgot to see Michelangelo's “David” and DaVinci's Mona Lisa. Doh!

Hopefully next time I visit France I'll be able to see the rest of the Louvre.

No comments:

Post a Comment