Thursday, January 28, 2010

Beautiful Losers..

I was lucky enough to catch the documentary "Beautiful Losers" (nice title borrowed from Leonard Cohen) last night at Sinema Old School (an epic movie house, my new favorite) here in Singapore (thanks Jenny Ruff). I found it to be a very inspiring, and accurate film, depicting my tiny generation of artists (some of which aren't even that good, but excel in attitude and positivity).. Artists include Shepard Fairey, Margaret Kilgallen, Harmony Korine (director), Mike Mills, Stephen Powers, Aaron Rose (director), Ed and Deanna Templeton, and others.

Possibly my favorite quality of the piece was how it explained the skateboarding culture influence, and how this is firmly embedded within the art movement itself. It was also interesting to hear these artists talk about doing commercial work, a struggle that most animators can relate to. Try to see it, the film site posts screening times.

No comments:

Post a Comment